We all have heard so much about Madam Tussaudes Museum since our childhood in the news, internet and T.V shows etc and I know everyone of us have always wished to visit it in reality.
Madame Tussaudes Museum Building. Source: skola.amoskadan.cz
Well, you will be glad to know that your dream of seeing those outstanding wax celebrity sculptures is going to come true soon as Madam Tussaudes Museum is now to open in New Delhi, India. It is especially for the Bollywood stars! So you can now enjoy the experience of watching the wax sculpture of your favourite celebrity in real. Felt great right??
Madhuri Dixit Wax Figure. Source: www.theinsightmag.com
It was officially announced in London by the British Government during the Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to UK that it will be open by the year 2017 as part of the India- UK year of culture. It will mark the 70th Independence Day of India.
The parent group of Madam Tussaudes Museum, MERLIN is set to invest 50 million pounds in India over ten years.
In relation to such exciting news for Indians I have something more to add to your excitement level. Here are some amazing facts about Madam Tussaudes Museum, after reading which you will be left in thought for more than 2 seconds.
- Madam Tussaudes Wax Museum was founded by Marie Tussaud who was a native of Strasbourg, France. She learnt the art of wax sculpting with her mother’s employer.
- She made her first wax sculpture at the very young age of 16 and it was of Francois Voltaire.
- Madam Tussad made her own wax sculpture eight years before she died at the age of 88.
Marie Tussauds Wax figure. Source: www.obitoftheday.com
- In 1940, Madame Tussad met with a bomb blast and more than 350 head moulds were damaged
- Tinkerbell is the smallest wax sculpture Madam Tussaudes Museum has ever made.
- To make each Madam Tussaudes Museum wax sculpture, it takes around 6 months, 250 measurements and photos, 2400 lbs of wax and $4500.
Leonardo Di Caprio’s wax figure. Source: www.fanpop.com
- To complete only the head part of a portrait it takes approximately 5 weeks as each starnd of the hair is inserted individually.
- Each and every portrait of the Museum is regularly maintained by make-up retouching. You will be more surprised to know that two maintenance teams examine all the wax figures daily before the museum gets opened.
- The first branch of Madam Tussaudes Museum was opened in Amsterdam in 1970.
Hope these facts entertained you. So, get ready to enjoy masterpieces of Madam Tussaudes Museum in India itself.